Sunday 3 November 2013

Shopping for a Whole 30!



So, while I've been more or less following a paleo diet for a couple of months now, I have never attempted a "Whole 30". Until now!

A "Whole 30" is when you spend 30 consecutive days eating 100% Paleo. That means cutting out even the small concessions you normally allow yourself and being completely true to the Paleo protocol for 30 days. An example would be that I would often have a cup of tea with a drop of milk in it - but not for Whole 30. Almond milk or black tea only. I would also sometimes eat a small amount of potato - but that's completely out for the 30 days too.

My plan is to document the 30 days, the foods I'm eating - the highs and lows - hopefully even a few recipes. I'm starting tomorrow finishing on December 3rd. But I guess the first thing I thought I'd share was today's shopping trip.....




That's a photo of some of the things I bought today. There are both beef and lamb steaks, chicken fillets, beef mince, pork escalopes, and plain frozen salmon fillets. Also, in terms of protein, there are plenty of nuts and seeds - you can see here the pistachios, cashews and almonds. I also stocked up on pumkin and sunflower seeds. Other snack foods included are dried coconut, pineapple, apples and celery with almond butter and cashew butter to dip them in. Plenty of fresh veggies, making sure to include lots of avocados - I put these in salads for lunch but also make guacamole with them for snacks. You'll also spot eggs and coconut milk in there and a large packet of flaxseed. I put flaxseed in almost everything - salads, curries, veggies, anything really. Tinned tomatoes are another good cupboard staple for adding a sauce to anything but keeping it Paleo!

Looking forward to the next 30 days now and to reaping the benefits. I hope I can keep temptations at bay and have plenty of willpower when it's needed.

Let me know if you're going to join me on the Whole 30 - the more the merrier!

No comments:

Post a Comment